Ideas for Projects
Ideas for Projects
Here are some rough notes that may be useful for deciding on a topic
for the class project. You should treat the following as starting
points for further discussion and development, not as canned project
suggestions. In particular, the
following are not intended to serve as replacements for discussing
project ideas and plans (among project team members and with the
Note that some of these are too simple for a project and others may be
too complex. Treat the following merely as a collection of ideas from
which you can pick some you like, combining them to get a project that
both interests you and is sufficiently challenging from a technical
viewpoint. You are encouraged to stop by during office hours to
discuss any of the following that may interest you.
As mentioned above, innovative projects are encouraged.
While the number of truly innovative ideas in your project is not a
primary factor in deciding the project grade, picking an innovative
and unusual project has the significant advantage that you will be
less likely to get bored with the project and will have more fun
working on it.
The first three of these ideas give an idea of what I'm expecting in terms
of project complexity.
These project ideas were taken
340: Databases, Fall 2019
Implement a database system application for a Twitter-like system where
users can send and receive tweet messages, follow other people, retweet
information, see tweets of friends etc.
Implement a database system application for a text messaging system.
Users can send to individuals or groups.
Implement a database system application for managing sports teams,
including teams, players on teams, game schedules, and per-game and
per-season player statistics.
- Online store of some kind (similar to Amazon)
- books, movies, electronic music, ...
catalog, browsing, shopping cart functions, payment,
- Auction site (similar to eBay)
- Re-design BannerWeb
- Airline/train/bus/taxi/ZipCar reservations
- Manage routes, search and book flights, frequent flier miles, ...
- Library/bibliography database
- search collections, check status, checkout and checkin, ...
- Reviews website (similar to Yelp or Consumer Reports)
- debit, credit, billing, interest, ...
- Personal finance or stocks
- Job postings
- openings, contacts, references, reviews, requirements, bidding, ...
- Social networking site (similar to Facebook)
- Movies (like IMDB or Netflix)
- Real estate or apartments (like AirBnb)
- Room scheduling
- distributed authorization
very low maintenance
easy report generation
clickable, annotated map as UI
- Address book or personal information manager
- contacts, addresses, phones, appointments, diary, to-do list, ...
- Meeting scheduler
- Buying tickets (similar to Ticketmaster)
- Parking garage or lot manager
- Which spots are open, find a spot, reserve a spot, manage payments, ...
- Weather database
- retrieve historical weather info and use to make forecasts, discover trends,
records, trivia, ...
- Sports database
- Traffic database
- Courseware (like Moodle)
- Build a search engine
- Photo-sharing website
Last updated February 21, 2023.
Send mail to kelliher[at]goucher.edu