Tom Kelliher, CS 200
Mar. 26, 2009
Presentations begin in two weeks First up: Melissa, Jonathan, and Russ.
Hardcopy of paper due at time of presentation.
Read Chapter 9.
Turn in answers to these questions: 1, 4, 9.
Work and Wealth.
- Strongly differentiated professions.
- Exceptions to ordinary morality by virtue of profession, not
- Role of efficacy.
- Characteristics of a profession.
- Mastery of an esoteric body of knowledge.
- Autonomy, at personal and profession levels.
- Formal Organization. Sets standards; controls admission.
- Code of ethics.
- Social function.
- Professional relationships:
- Codes of ethics.
- Should computing be a profession?
- What about software engineering?
- What about other sub-disciplines of computing?
- Some thorny technical ethics cases:
- Challenger and Columbia disasters.
- Therac-25 disaster.
- RFID technology.
- Exercises 21--.
Thomas P. Kelliher