Final Exam Review
Tom Kelliher, CS 318
May 3, 2002
Atomic, durable, and distributed transactions.
- Course evaluation.
- Review for final.
Project demos and final.
- Chapters covered: 8, 9, 11, 14, and 15.
- Same format as last time:
- Short answer/definition: 4 @ 15 points each.
- Problem solving: 2 @ 20 points each.
- This exam will count for 22.5% of final grade, as will the midterm.
- Functional dependencies, closure, attribute closures. Use in
- Decompositions: lossless, dependency preserving.
- Minimal covers.
- BCNF, 3NF. BCNF decomposition, 3NF synthesis.
- General form.
- Consideration, execution, granularity.
- Multiple enabled triggers.
- Controlling cascading triggers. (Hand-off discussion to cascading
triggers expert, John T.)
- Physical disk organization:
- CHS addressing and components of access time.
- Data storage structures:
- Heap structure.
- Sorted structure.
- Indexing schemes: clustered/unclustered, sparse/dense, search keys
with multiple attributes, multi-level indices (ISAM, trees).
- Efficiency analysis.
- Query processing:
- External sorts, projections, unions, differences.
- Access paths and efficiency analysis.
- Distributed transactions.
Thomas P. Kelliher
Thu May 2 21:50:04 EDT 2002