Tom Kelliher, CS 200
Oct. 13, 2009
Read: Chapter 8.
Turn in answers to these questions: 1, 2, 5.
Computer and Network (In)Security
- ``My dog ate my homework'' has become ``My PC ate my homework''
- In class exercise: Question 31.
- My truck has a 100,000 mile warranty. My workstation (hardware) has
a three year warranty Why doesn't my operating system or applications have
a meaningful warranty?
Is there something inherently different about software?
- Should all software have warranties? Especially life-critical
- Simulation: verification of software against a model; validation of the model against real-life behavior. Example: surgical
- Should software engineers be licensed? Characteristics of
Does software engineering exhibit all these characteristics?
- Mastery of an esoteric body of knowledge.
- Formal organization.
- Code of ethics. See
Software Engineering Code of Ethics and Professional Practice
- Social function.
- See text for further discussion questions.
Thomas P. Kelliher