World Wide Web
Jan. 7, 1997
Work through these exercises. There is nothing that needs to be handed in.
Some of the questions asked in these exercises will appear on the quiz.
You know how to start Netscape. Did you know you can send e-mail from it?
But first, you must configure Netscape so that the e-mail recipient knows
where the e-mail's coming from:
- From netscape, open the Options menu. Next, open the
Mail and News preferences menu. Bring the identity tab forward.
- Fill-in the information for the first four lines.
- Click OK.
- We just opened a big security/privacy problem. Working with those
around you, determine what the problem is. If you stumped, grab the
instructor. Don't move on until you understand this problem. Why isn't it
a such a big deal with a home computer?
- Open the Windows menu and choose Netscape Mail. It
will probably complain about a POP server. You can ignore that; the POP
server is used for reading e-mail.
- Send a piece of e-mail to the person sitting next to you.
- Use GroupWise to read the e-mail you received.
In each of the following, I give a hostname with a gopher server. You'll
have to construct the URL to enter into Netscape Navigator by taking the
hostname and prepending the access method for gopher service.
- Visit Lycos, find People Find, and try looking for some
people. For instance, is my residence pinpointed on the map?
- Visit Yahoo. Using Yahoo's subject categories, find the list of
personal computer manufacturers. The list you find should start with
Aberdeen, INC., and end with Zenith Data Systems. Answer the following
- What is the description for Hewlett Packard?
- Is there any Consumer Opinion information available about Gateway
- Is the Consumer Opinion information regarding Packard Bell
positive or negative? How trustworthy is this information? (Discuss
this with those around you.)
- Using Yahoo's subject categories, Find Penn State's distance
- When was the American Center for the Study of Distance Education
established? In what College is it housed?
- Does the Department of Distance Learning offer any accounting
- What is Shaver's Creek?
- Go to WebCrawler. Design a search to find real estate in the
Pittsburgh area. (Click on Search Tips for help.) Show me what
you entered for your search. Do you see any properties that you like?
- Go to pathfinder.com.
- Is the full text of the Unabomber Manifesto there?
- Can you get a weather forecast?
- How many House Republicans were planning on not voting for New
Gingrich as Speaker of the House?
- Access the PA State Senate's Member Directory at
www.pasen.gov/members/senators.html and click on ``Who is your
Senator (Large PA map).'' Click on the senatorial district that contains
all of Lycoming County.
- Who is the senator from this district?
- When is his birthday?
- In what major is his college degree?
Thomas P. Kelliher
Tue Jan 7 10:52:19 EST 1997