Introduction, Computer Hardware
Tom Kelliher, CS297
Jan. 6, 1997
- Who are we? Why are we here? What do we already know?
- Does everyone remember their network account id and password?
Martine Zehner, 172 Hoyt (see in person).
- Textbooks --- share Meyer & Baber.
- Web resources. What's a URL? What about this period business?
- Home page project.
- On-Line course materials.
- Schedule. Is it reasonable, given backgrounds, expectations?
Computer component categories:
- RAM Memory.
- Coordinates all activity.
- ``Brain'' of the computer. Software is the ``mind.''
- Connected to rest of computer through a ``bus.'' ISA, VL, PCI buses.
- Faster than all other PC components --- caches.
- Members of the x86 family: Pentium Pro, Pentium, 486. Various
clock frequencies. Why Pentium?
- Executes binary instructions. What translates between our interface
to the PC and the processor's instructions.
- Random access memory.
- Volatile. Contrast storage.
- Location of running programs.
- Virtual memory.
- Typical sizes.
Some devices are also output devices. Which ones?
- Mouse, pointing stick, touchpad.
- Scanner. Bed, handheld.
- Modem, network adapter, digital satellite.
- CD-ROM drive. Speeds.
- Floppy disk drive.
- Hard disk drive. Permanent storage. Capacities. Access
speeds. Block sizes.
- Tape drive.
- Video card, monitor. Pixels, resolutions, number of colors. Video
- Sound card, speakers.
- Printer. Types of printers.
- Turn on monitor.
- Turn on system unit.
- Turn on other devices --- printer, speakers, etc.
- Shutdown the operating system.
- Reverse turn on sequence.
How can any program start?
- Processor self-tests.
- ROM BIOS POST.
- Boot program.
- Operating system.
- You double click on an icon.
- Operating system finds program, loads it into memory.
- Program shares CPU cycles with other running programs.
- Logging on/off the network.
- Using netscape?
and find the Rant and Rave on the PC versus Macintosh controversy.
Tackling Turbulence with Supercomputers.
- Using e-mail?
Thomas P. Kelliher
Mon Jan 6 11:53:55 EST 1997