CS 14 D,F
Dec. 5, 6, 1996
Work through these exercises. There is nothing that needs to be handed in.
There are two ways to do this, but we'll just access gopher servers through
Netscape Navigator. The second way is by using the gopher application
within the Internet folder on the OS/2 desktop
- Start Netscape Navigator.
- Netscape Navigator is configured to ``speak'' gopher if a gopher URL is
entered. For example, try entering
gopher://gopher.psu.edu. (The last period is not
part of the URL.) Note that you have to combine the access method, host
name, and port (if other than the default) into the URL.
- Netscape Navigator in gopher ``mode'' will behave similarly to its
www ``mode.'' You can click on links and enter new URLs.
In each of the following, I give a hostname with a gopher server. You'll
have to construct the URL to enter into Netscape Navigator by taking the
hostname and prepending the access method for gopher service.
- Visit wiretap.spies.com and click on ``Government Docs.''
Answer the following questions.
- What session of What Congress passed the Americans with
Disabilities Act? How is the act to be cited?
- List two objectives of the NAFTA agreement.
- How many world constitutions are available?
- Visit gopher.lib.virginia.edu and choose ``Alphabetic
Organization.'' Answer the following questions.
- List two publishers of the Bryn Mawr Classical Review.
- What is the Dartmouth Dante Project?
- What is EDUPAGE? Can online services be held liable for postings
- Visit niord.shsu.edu and choose ``Economics.'' Answer the
- Using the Foreign Exchange Rates information, How many Italian
Lira and Japanese Yen can you get for a dollar?
- From the Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago, list three economic
- Visit Academe This Week at chronicle.merit.edu and
answer the following questions.
- List one new item.
- Under Notable Internet Resources, what is ironic about the journal
cataloging Internet resources? What two New York buildings, in 1929,
were racing to be the tallest skyscraper?
- Visit the University of Michigan's Electronic Text Archive at
etext.archive.umich.edu and answer the following questions.
- Is the manuscript for Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet
available? What is the couplet to Sonnet XVIII?
- What is the WELL?
- How man 'Zine subjects are listed?
- Visit the National Cancer Institute's gopher server at
biomed.nus.sg and choose the CancerNet gopher. Answer the following
- Is psychological stress a risk factor?
- What are the characteristics of stage I breast cancer? (Patient
- What are the characteristics of stage I prostate cancer?
- List three cancer therapies.
Thomas P. Kelliher
Wed Dec 4 16:27:04 EST 1996