Mar. 10, 1999
You should have the information for your web account in front of you.
There are three pieces of information: your name, your web account name
(e.g., kelliher), and your password. Your URL, for FrontPage
purposes, is your username with a
~ prepended (e.g.,
~kelliher). Sometimes you will be asked to provide your web account
name and other times your URL.
Phoenix, the web server, runs the Unix operating system. Names in Unix are
case sensitive, meaning that c is not the same as C as in
Microsoft operating systems. So, when typing your password you have to use
the Shift key appropriately. I've tried to indicate on your account slips
the differences between ``el'' ( l), ``one'' ( 1), capital ``oh''
( O), and ``zero'' ( 0). Your password is exactly eight
Before you can publish, you need something to publish. Use the
lesson 10 web site for publishing. There are some character case problems
with the lesson 10 folders on the CD ROM, so use the Lesson10a folder
on the S: drive instead. Skip the part of the lesson dealing with
registering your web site on pp. 220--221.
Substitute these steps for steps 1--5 on pp. 219--220.
Congratulations. You can now tell everyone you've been published.
- Let's start by changing your password (but if you really like
the password I assigned, feel free to keep it). If your Goucher network
password is a good (as we discussed) password, use that one for your web
account. Otherwise come up with a good password. (I have a few for sale.)
Take your time creating a new password; it's not easy.
- Click the Open Existing FrontPage Web radio button in the
dialog box or the Open FrontPage Web button on the toolbar if
the dialog box is no longer around.
- The Open FrontPage Web dialog box opens. For Web
Server type phoenix . Click the List Webs button. All
our webs will appear in the FrontPage Webs list. Find your URL,
highlight it, and click OK.
- The Name and Password Required dialog box opens. Login
using your web account name and password. Call me over if you can't get
in after a few tries.
- Once you see your empty web site (you'll see your URL up in
FrontPage's title bar), open the Tools menu and choose
Change Password. You will be requested to supply your old password
(the one I assigned) and then to supply your new password twice. Why do
you suppose you have to provide it twice?
- Once you've changed that password, if you want to change the
password for your network account, press the Ctrl, Alt, and
Delete keys simultaneously (this is called the ``three-fingered
salute''). The Windows NT Security dialog box will open.
Click Change Password and repeat, using your old Goucher
password for Old Password.
- Open the web you wish to publish ( Lesson10a).
- Open the File menu and choose Publish FrontPage Web.
The Publish FrontPage Web dialog box will open. There is some
information which must be provided:
Click OK. You probably won't have to provide your
password again because FrontPage remembers it until you close
- The Destination Web Server is phoenix .
- The Name of Destination FrontPage Web is your URL, for
- Under Options ensure that only Add to an
existing FrontPage Web is selected.
- FrontPage should begin copying your web site over to phoenix. After
a few seconds (more if you're transferring a lot of pages/images), you
should see a dialog box indicating success.
- Now it's time to check out your web site on the Internet. Open
Internet Explorer and enter your URL, for example,
phoenix/~kelliher/ . Is your site there? Verify the links.
(Some things will be broken, but that's ok. Most of the site should be
On campus your URL is similar to
Off-campus, however, your URL is similar to
phoenix.goucher.edu/~kelliher/ . If you choose to tell others of
your URL, be sure to give them the off-campus URL.
- Ok, let's say your web site's not ready for prime time. If you want
to remove it (if you want to leave it, that's cool too) from phoenix here's
- Go back to FrontPage Explorer and click the Open FrontPage
Web button on the toolbar. The Open FrontPage Web opens once
again. Type phoenix for the Web Server and click
List Webs. Choose your URL from the FrontPage Web list,
highlight it, and click OK. You probably won't have to provide
- Your web site on phoenix will appear in FrontPage Explorer.
Notice that it looks just like your web site on your G: drive. If
you look up in FrontPage's title bar, you can see that you're exploring
your web site on phoenix. Make sure that's the case, because you
wouldn't want to delete your G: drive files.
- Switch your web site view from Hyperlink View to
Folder View by clicking the Folder View button on the
- You should now see a list on the right-hand side of the window
containing a couple folders and the files encompassing your web site.
Remove everything except for the two folders named
images). To remove a file, in case you don't know how, first
highlight it and then zap it with the Delete key.
- Your web site should now be gone. Go back to Internet Explorer
Thomas P. Kelliher
Wed Mar 10 13:12:30 EST 1999