Publishing Your Web Pages
Nov. 17, 1997
The process of moving your HTML and image files to a Web server so that
others on the Internet may view them is known as publishing. This is a
step-by-step guide to Web publishing. Please note the following:
- It is very important that the information you type in not contain
errors. Some of the software distinguishes between uppercase and lowercase
letters; B is not the same as b. Make sure that Caps
Lock on the keyboard is not on. Follow the instructions carefully; read
each step completely before proceeding.
- If you make a mistake on a step, you can use the Back button
to return to that step. Each time you press the button, you go back
another step. Use the Next button to go forward.
- When you are finished with one step in the publishing process, click
the Next or OK button to continue on to the next step.
- The first time publishing is complicated because of the amount of
information which must be provided, subsequent publishing will be much
easier. After going through this once, I suggest you re-publish to see how
easier it is the second time.
After you've published your pages, start the Internet Explorer browser,
type in your URL, and check your pages. Now's a good time to re-publish
your pages to get some more practice and see how much easier it is the
second time. Any time you make changes to your pages in your home page
folder on the G: drive you should re-publish all your pages.
- Press the Start button in the lower left hand corner of the
desktop and choose Run from the menu. In the Run box
carefully type the following:
"c:\program files\web publish\wpwiz"
(make sure you type the quotes and the spaces). Click OK to run
the Web Publishing Wizard. (To run the Wizard subsequently, you can just
open the run menu by clicking on the arrow to the right of the run box and
choosing the line with wpwiz in it.)
- The Web Publishing Wizard will begin to run. Follow the instructions
in the dialog boxes.
- For File or Folder Name use the Browse Folders button
to navigate to your home page folder. Select your home page folder (it
will not open, put it should be highlighted). Make sure the Include
Subfolders box is checked.
- When asked to select the name of a Web server, click New.
- For Descriptive Name, type Home Page . For
Service Provider, select
<Other Internet Provider> . (When
you publish subsequently, just select Home Page from the Web server
- For URL, type
(replace kelliher with your username). Make sure you type the
tilde character (the
~ --- to the left of the 1 key on the
- Select Intranet.
- Now, the Web Publishing Wizard will attempt to verify everything so
far. Click Next to verify. The verification will fail. This is
normal. Click OK to continue.
- Select FTP protocol.
- Type your username and password for your phoenix account (I
distributed this information to you in class). Be especially careful when
typing the password; you can't see the characters you type.
- The FTP server is phoenix.goucher.edu .
- The Sub Folder is
public_html and the URL is
the same as before (see Step 6).
- When you arrive at the second verification step, click Next
to verify. Everything should be fine this time. If not, call me over. If
everything is fine, click Finish to publish your pages.
Thomas P. Kelliher
Fri Nov 14 12:09:30 EST 1997