Searching the World Wide Web
Tom Kelliher, CS 102
Sept. 17, 1997
- 10--15 minutes, two or three questions.
- Possible topics:
- Passwords: choosing a good one, importance, why we have them.
- The three parts of a URL.
- Computer terms: parallel and serial ports, processor, RAM memory,
disk, multi-media, operating system, modem, network card, ink-jet and
laser printers. Be able to define, give examples, discuss
- Buying a computer: the important issues.
- Buying software: the important issues.
- Types of stores.
- Three specific packages: Intuit's Quicken, Microsoft's Works and
- Internet Explorer.
- Use Excite (
http://www.excite.com/) to research a topic.
- Go to Search Tips and read the sections What is Excite
Search?, What Can I Search?, and Search Tips.
- Use cut/copy and paste to move information from one window to
- Copy information to a Word document.
- E-mail the Word document as an attachment.
Thomas P. Kelliher
Tue Sep 16 16:59:02 EDT 1997