Review for Quiz 5
Tom Kelliher, CS 102
Nov. 19, 1997
The quiz will be held at the beginning of class on Monday 11/24 and will be
partially open, as explained below.
The quiz will cover the material on the Web page
. This begins with the Section titled ``The Internet.'' This part is
Additionally, the quiz will cover material which is linked from the above
page. To guide you in your studying of this linked material, a list of
questions follows. These questions may be answered by reading the linked
pages. As we discussed in class, you may write the answers down on paper
and refer to your written answers in completing the quiz.
- History of the Internet:
- What government agency began the construction of the predecessor
to the Internet?
- What university was the first node on the network?
- Hollywood and Computers:
- What movie first broached the topic of computers?
- What two themes predominate cinematic portrayals of computers?
- HPCC project:
- What does the acronym HPCC stand for?
- List one HPCC program goal.
- Briefly describe one Grand Challenge application.
- Smart rooms, desks, and clothes:
- Describe the Affective Computing project.
- What is a ``smart room?''
- Internet stalking:
- Why did the city councilman's phone ring in the middle of the
- Name an advantage of a ``virtual affair.''
- Name a disadvantage.
- The Pentium Papers:
- What mathematical operation was ``buggy'' in the Pentium
- What is the name of the professor who discovered the problem?
- The Unabomber:
- Why does the Unabomber feel that the ``bad'' parts of technology
can't be separated from the ``good'' parts?
Thomas P. Kelliher
Wed Nov 19 16:30:55 EST 1997