Tom Kelliher, CS 200
Sept. 1, 2009
Read: Chapter 2.
Turn in answers to these questions on pg. 97: 2, 15, any one of 25-28.
- Milestones in computing keys:
- Transistor (1948).
- ICs and the microprocessor (1971).
- Milestone in networking keys:
- Internet (1974).
- Internet Commercialization (1995).
- Milestone in Information Storage and Retrieval keys:
- Hypertext (1965).
- Search engines (1989) -- archie, ftp site indexing
- WWW (1991). ``Predecessor'': gopher (1991).
- What can the Amish teach us about our relationship with technology?
- Think about the last piece of consumer electronics you
purchased/received. How has it affected your life? Has it been a ``time
saver'' or a ``time drainer?'' Overall, are you pleased with the device?
- Have you ever been in a situation where you've been without the
modern conveniences of life for a few days? If so, what was it like?
- Some say that no technology is value-neutral -- it can be used for
either good or evil. Do you share this view? Explain your position.
- What are the consequences of Microsoft's dominance of the operating
system and Web browser markets?
Thomas P. Kelliher