Extra Credit Applet Project
Dec. 4, 2002
The following extra credit applet is to be completed individually.
You may not do the work as a group project nor may you use the
SI. (View it as a take-home exam.) To turn-in your project, e-mail it
as an attachment to
Send mail to kelliher AT DOMAIN goucher.edu. The project is due
Wednesday, December 11 by 5:00 PM and is worth 20 extra credit points.
Late projects will not be accepted.
Help me keep track of all my stuff! I need an inventory tracking system.
The system should have these features:
Can you help me keep track of all my stuff?
A working sample of the applet is available on the class home page. The
behavior of your applet should match the behavior of the sample.
Similarly, the look of your applet should be similar to the look of the
sample (this will require the use of various panels and layout managers).
The grading criteria will be:
- A way of entering new inventory items.
- A way of searching the inventory to determine if a particular item
is or isn't in inventory.
- A display to show how many more items can be added to the inventory.
- Storage for 10 items, but easily modified to accommodate larger
inventories later. (``Easily'' is defined as having to change only one
line of code.)
- A warning when I try to add something to the inventory when it is
- A visually appealing GUI design.
- Well-documented source code, as defined by the Program Documentation
Standards document you were given in class (and available on the class home
page under the Class Materials entry for Oct. 30).
- Because I'm easily confused, the result display (found, not found, no
slots available message), should be cleared as soon as I click the mouse in
the item input widget or even just move the mouse to that widget.
Similarly, the message should be cleared, as appropriate, when entering a
new item into the inventory.
- Program behavior: 10 points.
- Visual elements: 5 points.
- Documentation: 5 points.
Thomas P. Kelliher
Tue Dec 3 15:49:17 EST 2002