Tom Kelliher, CS42
Dec. 9, 1996
Simpler problems, stricter grading.
Definitions: short, concise answers
Five problems drawn from these six areas:
- Differences between processes and threads? What is a thread?
What is a process? Resources?
- What are process states?
- How do they communicate?
- Options in process creation?
- CPU scheduling:
- Types of schedulers?
- CPU scheduling mechanisms?
- Process/Thread synchronization:
- Mechanisms. Comparisons.
- Problems of synchronization.
- Definition, necessary conditions.
- Prevention, avoidance, recovery.
- Resource allocation graphs.
- Virtual memory:
- Hardware support: MMU architecture, page table fields.
- OS support: page fault sequence.
- Placement, replacement algorithms.
- Memory access penalty (bring calculator).
- File systems:
- Block allocation mechanisms, comparison.
- Directory implementation.
Thomas P. Kelliher
Mon Dec 9 09:03:37 EST 1996