A = [90--100]
B = [80--90)
I use +/- grading sparingly.
Course Point Distribution
There will be 840 total points for the class. They will be
distributed as follows:
- Quizzes --- Quizzes will be given on alternate Fridays, at the
beginning of class, and a final quiz will be given during the final
period. If you cannot appear for a quiz, you must make arrangements
with me beforehand (refer to the College's Student Regulations
on absences from examinations). Seven quizzes, 60 points each.
- Papers --- Two 4--5 page papers, 60 points each. Some suggested
If you have other ideas for topics, please discuss them with me.
- Buying a computer: must-have features, ``nice'' features,
questionable features. Compare and contrast two PC systems.
- Analyze a software application; compare two examples of it.
- Explore an ethical issue related to computing or networked
communications. For example, term paper archives.
- Explore an issue related to security or privacy in the
electronic age. For example, electronic data gathering.
- A study of the use of computing and communications in your
- A study of future uses of computing and communications.
- Projects --- Powerpoint presentation, spreadsheet analysis,
Internet resource search, and personal home page. 60 points each.
- Attendance, participation. 60 points.
No extra credit is available.